Posted on 18/05/2018 by Zeeshan Ali
Earlier this month, Olivier Crête, Nicolas Dufresne, George Kiagiadakis & I attended the GStreamer Spring Hackfest in Lund, Sweden. Hosted by Axis Communications (who uses GStreamer in their surveillance cameras for many years now), it was a great opportunity for the GStreamer community to touch base and work on open bugs and pet projects.
While I've been involved in the GStreamer project in the past, it was my first GStreamer hackfest. While a lot was achieved during the event, the most exciting outcomes were no doubt the closing of more than 350 bugs, and the agreement on a transition plan to move to GitLab.
Overall, the hackfest was very productive, with each member of our team managing to progress in their list of tasks while all taking part in bug triaging & cleaning in preparation of moving GStreamer's issue tracking to GitLab.
George spent time working on improving the new library API that is needed to introduce support for the non-interleaved audio layout, discussed a gst-rtsp-server issue with the Axis team, and merged all qt-gstreamer patches that were lying around in bugzilla and resolved all reported bugs, then declared it as unmaintained.
For his part, Nicolas participated in the planar audio format and split field interlaced video support work, started looking at adding per element latency tracing to GStreamer's existing latency tracer, and also discussed GStreamer CI, which will also move to GitLab to be able to run on pull requests also.
Olivier, during the first day, focused on the collective effort of reviewing all of the open bugs, managing to close a number of them while confirming and commenting on others. He also merged some outstanding patches he had (stay tuned for more details on those), and forward ported gst-validate for Android with the goal of running the CI on Android. He also merged a series of patches that enable bitcode embedding on the iOS target with the eventual goal of supporting tvOS as well.
As for myself, I mainly worked on (or rather started to work on) split-field interlacing support in GStreamer, adding relevant formats and modes in the GStreamer video library. In addition, as a Meson developer (Nirbheek Chauhan) was present, I took the opportunity to discuss with him the last bit of porting build system of Geoclue to Meson, a side project I've been working on. It helped me get it done faster but also helped Nirbheek find some issues in Meson and fix them!
All in all, my first GStreamer hackfest was an awesome experience (even though I was not feeling well). It was also very nice to hangout and socialize with old and new friends in the GStreamer community after a long time. Many thanks again to Axis for hosting us in their offices! See you at the GStreamer Conference this fall!
Visit Zeeshan's blog.
For projects of any value and significance, having a comprehensive automated test suite is nowadays considered a standard software engineering…
After I started working for Collabora in April, I've finally been able to put some time on maintenance and development of Geoclue again.…
Like all software, Open Source software isn't without it's bugs and issues. However, thanks to the nature of Open Source, resolving or mitigating…
Last month, the first "MicroDebConf" took place at the Gama campus of the University of Brasilia. Here's a look at how this one day event…
When working on the Linux Kernel, testing via QEMU is pretty common. Here's a look at virtme, a QEMU wrapper that uses the host instead…
Earlier this month, Collabora sponsored & hosted the XMMP Sprint, the first developer event in the XMPP community in a long time. Here's…